Wedding cakes are an edible work of art, and the centerpiece of your reception. It should stand out and match the theme of your wedding. Many Brides ask me how much they should budget for their wedding cake. Most professionally made wedding cakes will start at $450 and go up from there, many multiple tier cakes covered in fondant with a variety of designs or decoration will average in the $800 range. Keep in mind that the price gets higher with each additional tier as well as cake designs that are extremely elaborate. To save on your cake budget, try to minimize some of the fancy designs and embellishments. You may choose a low-priced, icing like butter cream rather than fondant, and keep the tiers to the minimum. Many well know wedding blogs (like Utah Bride Blog, The Knot.com and The Wedding Chicks, just to name a few) have been featuring adorable 2-tier cakes displayed on a vintage pedestal cake stand. However you slice it, we recommend at least having a small cake, and not ditching the idea completely in order to save money.
The tradition of the WEDDING CAKE is an important one. Wedding cakes play a significant part for the bride and groom on their big day where they perform their first task with the ceremonial cutting of the cake. The groom’s right hand has to be on top of the bride’s hand. The groom serves the first piece of cake to the bride and then the bride serves it to her husband…..and please… don’t cram it into each others faces. Nobody looks good with cake up their nose.
More Wedding Cake Tips
1. If you have chosen Butter Cream Frosting- Keep your wedding cake chilled whenever possible.
2. Avoid chocolate mousse or butter cream frosting if your reception venue is outdoor.
3. Fondant helps preserve and protect the wedding cake longer.
4. The size of your wedding cakes should be relative to the number of your guest.
5. Make sure that the table and cake stand dedicated for the wedding cake are level and stable.
6. Make sure to check with your caterer about the fee for cutting and plating the cake, not all caterers offer that service, and many will charge per slice or by the hour for that added service.
7. Have a plan for how you will get the extra cake and top tier home safely.
8. Don’t forget to purchase or plan for a cake knife and server. Many reception halls have a “loner” on hand but it’s always a good idea to check. Better safe than sorry!
45 Sweet Inspiration Of Wedding Cake Designs
Wedding cakes come in different sizes, shapes and flavours. It is embellished with toppers, icing and flowers, both artificial and natural. Browse through some of the classic and creative confectionery here to find a wedding cake that complements your taste. To find out more, you can go to The Knot and check out their wedding cake gallery for more details. Since getting your wedding cake is a personal choice, it is a good idea to prepare your ideas about the design and style that you want before you discuss it with your wedding cake supplier.
From Full-coordination to On-site Decoration to Tents and Rentals…we have it all!